taimis

Thursday, November 10, 2005

I have a dessert dream list. Most of them are things I’ve read in books, or seen in movies, so I’m not even sure if some of them are possible, but here goes anyway…

1) Little Women -
The March sisters are surprised with a Christmas feast after giving up their Christmas breakfast earlier in the morning to a poor family. The spread included French bonbons and pink and white ice cream. i borrowed an illustrated version of the book, and there was the feast in all its technicolor glory.

2) a Disney cake -
What would that be, pray tell? It’s the cake I always see in Disney shorts and Alice in Wonderland, looks like single layer sponge cake with pink icing dribbling nicely down its sides and topped with a single luscious cartoon cherry. This kind of cake always ends up destroyed by some Disney mischief, never eaten, and I always felt bad about that…

3) yellow cake with stickiest squashiest chocolate icing –
I always find this in any variety of books. The Anne series by L.M. Montgomery has it in certain parts described as a “a big gooey chocolate cake” and harry potter’s first ever birthday cake is a slightly sat upon and sticky chocolate cake, and the idea of all that buttery yellow cakey goodness smothered with stick-to-the-roof-of-your-tongue chocolate icing just makes me feel all melty and happy-kid.

4) The Narnian Chronicles – several things actually, c.s. lewis knew his sweet shit
Turkish delight:
“each piece sweet and light to the very center” yum. I actually found a Turkish Delight candy bar covered with chocolate in a specialty store in festival mall. A lot of people don’t like Turkish delight, the rose syrup makes them think they’re eating perfume, but I adore it, especially with pistachios. I want to learn how to make my own some day.

gloriously sticky marmalade roll:
When the Pevensie children sit down with Mr. and Mrs. Beaver for a meal, this is their desseret. Have still yet to find a recipe that might possibly come close to this

The list isn't finished. This bit is just skimming the top of all the whipped cream and custard fantasies clustered in my head.

I did manage to create one dream dessert. I always wanted to make some gorgeous triple layer cake slathered with tons of icing, “clapped together with layers of ruby jelly”. That’s from Anne of Green Gables, but the rest of the fantasy takes bits and pieces from other things. I always liked fluffy white icing, after seeing the huge marshmallow mushroom in the Willy Wonka Chocolate Room, and strawberries, because of all the Strawberry Shortcake Cartoons I used to watch as a kid. So I ended up making a strawberry meringue cake, a gorgeous monster of a dessert, bleeding beautiful strawberries and covered in slightly browned meringue icing.



It’s not a perfect cake, as you can see. The middle genoise layer sort of collapsed, and I can’t seem to get the knack of making the meringue peak and swirl elegantly. The cake ended up looking like it had little marshmallow devil horns.

But it tasted gooooood…so, I can move on to the next dream dessert ☺